Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

internet loading speed slowed down

mimooem

FPCH New Member
Some Experience
I brought a new computer with windows 8 about 6 mnths ago and it was great as the internet loaded and worked quickly with no problems which was great compared to my old 6yr old computer. Our internet isn't great anyway but the last few months every time now when you load a new page you can use it straight away for about 1-2 seconds then it freezes for about 20seconds loading and it does this everytime and drops out a lot. My other half uses a tablet with the internet and has no problems with speed or dropping atall. It is really driving me mad now and not being great with computer stuff don't know what to do. spent all this money to try and have something descent that works and it doesn't. Also When computer left on it goes into standby with black screen and you should move the mouse to start it up then you get a count down of 5 round circles then it starts up but sometimes you can't start it up no matter how you move or click the mouse, push keyboard or turn screen on or off. it would just load the screen for the 5 circle count down and go blank again and move mouse again it will do the same thing so I would have to manually hold the button in to turn computer off. this will happen at different times. for 1 week it happened about every other day but then it may not happen for a month before happening again. I have already had to swap the screen at 1 mnth old because lights went. Got from currys/pc world. any help will be much appreciated as it is still in warranty and paying insurance for it but don't know if it is something that I can do as they are useless and computers normally come back in worse condition then before so only want to go back to them if nessesary. thanks great.

Hi and welcome to FpcH :)

Sorry for the slow response - I have been away for a few days.

It sounds like you have 2 problems.
Let's deal with them one at a time.

Internet Problem
If your "other half" is having no problems with connecting we must assume that the problem lies with your machine.
It is no help at all - but my Win8 machine locks up with no Internet access at times - but not enough to be a problem.

Point the mouse to the top right corner > select Search
Type in Device Manager .......then click on "Settings"
Click the > next to "Network Adapters"

1. What is listed ?

2. Right click on the Wireless device > Update drivers

3. Are there any yellow exclamation marks ?

Back