• Due to the complexity and risks involved our formally trained malware staff will be the only ones allowed to help with malware removal advice. Thank you.

Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Browser Help

Hi dazzac,

I've had a bit more time to go over all the reports and posts again.

Seems there's nothing to worry about.

I use cashback site for on-line shoping, but recently I get this site when I follow the required link: hxxp://www.awin1.com (replace "xx" with "tt" to get the site address but proceed with extreme caution).
it's actually a legit marketing site.

awin1.com | McAfee SiteAdvisor Software – Website Safety Ratings and Secure Search

Affiliate Marketing – Affiliate Window – Affiliate Network

Affiliate Marketing – Affiliate Window – Affiliate Network
Affiliate Window handle over 750 merchants, ranging from blue-chip brands such as Dixons, Boots and Vodafone, to niche retailers looking to grow their online presence. Affiliate Window is committed to developing market-leading technology to assist the performance of both merchants and publishers.
Seems the shopping sites may be using this company for market research purposes.

All 3 browsers give me this message using windows 7. If I use an old Laptop with Windows XP I get no problem.
Obviously you have something installed on this system which you don't on the other system.
What is this program in your uninstall list:
MarketResearch
I can't find any info on it.

There is a link to another site called "netcraft phishtank"
Perfectly legit. it's there to actually protect you.
Fraud Protection, enabled by default in Opera 10 and later, warns you about suspicious Web pages by checking the page you request against a database of known “phishing” and “malware” Web sites, such as Netcraft, PhishTank and TRUSTe.
quote taken from:
Opera Web Browser | Security

also see here:
Netcraft Anti-Phishing Toolbar
toolbar.netcraft.com | WOT Reputation Scorecard | WOT Web of Trust

I'd say if you do use these shopping sites frequently .... you are going to see these things.

OK That's re-assuring to know.
But how do I stop this awin1.com & netcraft fishtank from blocking all access to these sites.? It's just started to block virginmedia.com too which is frustrating as I can't seem to find away round it. Virginmedia is my ISP, so I use it quite often
Thanks

Dazzac

Let's find out if it's something that's been added to the browsers.
Try running IE and Firefox without any addons and see if the problem still occurs.

Internet Explorer:
Click on Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Internet Explorer (no Add-ons).
This opens up IE without ActiveX controls and browser extensions.

Firefox:
Click on Start >> All Programs >> Mozilla Firefox >> Mozilla Firefox (safe mode)

Let's find out if it's something that's been added to the browsers.
Try running IE and Firefox without any addons and see if the problem still occurs.

Internet Explorer:
Click on Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Internet Explorer (no Add-ons).
This opens up IE without ActiveX controls and browser extensions.

Firefox:
Click on Start >> All Programs >> Mozilla Firefox >> Mozilla Firefox (safe mode)

OK I've tried IE.
Ive followed your instructions & the problem still occurs. I have tried going into Add-ons manager and individually disabling each Add - On.

Firefox I do not use that often, but I'll try it any way. I use Opera more - this is my main browser.

Thanks again for your help
Dazzac

I can't seem to disable add-ons in Opeera any ideas?

Tried Firefox & this is OK when I run it off my memory stick with it configured to "private browsing" I.E. won't store cookies & delete history on exit ETC.

Dazzac

I can't seem to disable add-ons in Opeera any ideas?
I'll try and look into this for you as i do have Opera on my system.... but very rarely use it.

I'll try and look into this for you as i do have Opera on my system.... but very rarely use it.

Hi Starbuck,
The fault is still bugging me. I now think its Anti - virus related - I can use cashback sites only if I switch off AV & use IE?

Hi dazzac,

I now think its Anti - virus related - I can use cashback sites only if I switch off AV & use IE?
It may well be a setting within Kaspersky that's causing this then.
I take it that you have gone through the settings to see if there's anything there?

Have you tried another AV program to see if the problem is still there?

I've never used Kaspersky AV so are not conversant with the settings etc within the program.

Hi,

Yeah I've looked all settings & changed a few but to no avail. I added the awin.com site as a safe site as well as the cashback site. I don't really understand all the settings any way. Maybe i'll contact their support. Perhaps there is a conflict somewhere.... I'll keep this post updated in case it helps someone else too

Perhaps there is a conflict somewhere.... I'll keep this post updated in case it helps someone else too
Thanks for that.
Two_thumbs_up.gif

Back